MANILA, Philippines — Tourism Secretary Berna Romulo Puyat said today that historical sites and museums in the NCR Plus would soon reopen to tourists on a limited basis (June 11).
The reopening, which was authorized by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), restricts these tourist locations to a 20 percent venue capacity and is subject to DOT health and safety regulations as well as other local government limitations. Tours with a guide are still banned.
“Following the relaxation of quarantine regulations, our historical sites and museums in the NCR Plus Area may be open to tourists. This is part of our efforts to reintroduce tourist and leisure activities in a safe and consistent way, as well as to assist in the reintroduction of jobs. To avoid a potential COVID-19 epidemic, visitors are nevertheless advised to adhere to the minimal health and safety requirements established for historical monuments and museums, according to the tourism head.
“This wonderful news comes just in time for our celebration of Independence Day. Historical monuments and museums serve as reminders of our rich culture and history, as well as the bravery of those who battled for our independence,” she said. “Revisiting our history brings us closer together as a people and puts us closer to a future free of the dangers and uncertainties that the epidemic has given us.”
The NCR Plus, which includes Metro Manila and the surrounding provinces of Bulacan, Rizal, Cavite, and Laguna, and is presently under a General Community Quarantine (GCQ) with limitations, has received IATF clearance for historical sites and museums. In other regions covered by the GCQ and Modified GCQ, museums and historical sites are already permitted to function.
Last month, the government’s COVID-19 task group approved the establishment of limited-capacity outdoor tourism attractions.