2. Kennon Road and its builder
- Named after Col. Lyman W. Kennon who was the final builder
of the famous benguet road, with the help of the industrious
Cordilleras and foreign workers.
Kennon road is the shortest and
the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The
Lion's head can be found along the way.
Final construction of this road
was finished in 1903. Col. L. Kennon first ascended to Baguio
Of the original workers, the
Igorots and Japanese were admired for their trustworthiness and
willingness to work.
Kennon was closed to traffic
after the July 16, 1990 earthquake. It is now open to light vehicles.
3. Diplomat Hotel on Dominican
Hill - In May 1911, the councils of the Province of the Dominican
Order voted to construct a vacation house in Baguio on a 17 hectare
property they had acquired when the American authorities were
encouraging people to come here. Actual work started in 1913
under Fr. Roque Ruano and the building was inaugurated on May
23, 1915. To take advantage of the tax exemptions a school called
Collegio del Santissimo Rosario was opened in June 1915 but due
to the very small enrollment the school closed in 1917, reverting
the building to the original vacation house sanitarium.
During WWII it was first occupied
by refugees. Later the Japanese Army Liberation Forces had to
bomb out the refugees from the buildings. The five direct hits
left very extensive damage and for a time it was left unrepaired.
Reconstruction was started in 1947 and completed in 1948 with
most of its pre-war grandeur and beauty restored.
In 1973, Diplomats Hotels, Inc.
acquired ownership, remodeled the interior into a 33 bedroom
hotel with modern facilities, but retained the unique and distinct
personality of the Dominican Hill. In the 80's the hotel ceased
operations due to the death of one of its majority stockholders.
Plans are underway to develop this historical religious landmark
into a tourist resort.
4. Philippine Military Academy
- The Philippine Commission promulgated Act No. 175 which became
the basis for the creation of the Philippine Constabulary in
August 8, 1905. The school for the officers of the constabulary
was first located in Sta. Lucia Barracks in Manila. Later in
1908, it was relocated in Baguio on the site known as Constabulary
Hill later renamed Camp Henry T. Allen, in honor of the first
chief of the Philippine Constabulary.
With the passage of the Jones
Law, the school was later changed to "Academy for officers
of the Philippine Constabulary" with a two-year curriculum.
In 1908, the course was raised to collegiate level and later
lenghtened to three years with class 1938 as having the lease
graduates of that course.
When the commonwealth government
was established in 1935, the Philippine Military Academy was
created in place of the Philippine Constabulary Academy. Under
the National Defense Act, the PMA was authorized to maintain
a cadet strength of 350. Because of increased population, the
academy transferred to Teachers Camp in June 1936 where it remained
until WWII broke out.
After the war the PMA headquarters
was temporarily relocated at Camp Murphy and later at Alabang,
while Camp Allen was being rehabilitated. In April 1947 the PMA
was back to its original home in Camp Allen.
Again they had to transfer to
Loakan because of overcrowding. Since May 1950 the Philippine
Military Academy has found its permanent home at Fort del Pilar,
Loakan, Baguio City.
5. The Mansion - This imposing
and majestic Baguio mansion house has a long list of Filipino
presidents and American governor-generals. It has elegantly structured
building and guesthouse. It's gate is patterned after that of
London's Buckingham Palace. The Mansion has also been the site
of several international conferences and a working office of
the President of the Philippines during his visits to the City.
6. Camp John Hay - This former
American recreational facility is currently undergoing development
as a world class resort.
7. Teachers Camp - It was through
the vacation normal school which began in Teacher's Camp 1908,
that not only teachers from all over the islands were able to
have a respite and some more time for studies, but the city became
In a letter to the Secretary
of Public Instruction, Governor William Pack outlines his plan
to set up a camp in Baguio where teachers can be accommodated.
The plan was approved on January 8, 1908 and the camp was opened
on April 6, 1908.
For a start, four assembly tents
were put up for kitchen, dining and storage purposes and two
other large tents were set aside for class purposes. Later on,
the "KURSAAK" was constructed in 1909 as a permanent
structure and took over the functions of the mess tent, aside
from being the social center for assemblies. The next year, other
buildings were added, the road traversing the vast hectarage
leveled and the athletic field out in its hollow.
In 1912, Benitez Hall , Ladies
Hall, the Secretary's Cottage, the Under-Secretary's Cottage
the Director and the Assistant's Cottages were built. Several
more appropriations were passed to construct the Teacher's Hall,
the Tavera Hall and the White Hall in 1927. In 1937, General
Luna Hall was built by the Philippine Military Academy.
It now caters to conferences,
meetings seminars and social functions sponsored by the government